Website National Speech & Debate Association
The Business and Finance Associate supports the day-to-day operations of the Business and Finance department. The Associate’s primary role is processing accounts payable and account receivable and serves as a primary contact for finance customer service requests. Additional responsibilities include reconciling daily credit card receipts, processing scholarship payment requests, and generating reports from QuickBooks and other business software platforms as requested.
The National Speech & Debate Association is committed to modeling and fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion for all speech and debate communities. The Associate will work conscientiously to model and foster an inclusive and equitable speech and debate experience for all.
The Business and Finance Associate reports to the Director of Business and Finance. This is a nonexempt position paying $22.60 per hour, which annualizes to approximately $47,000 per year before any overtime.
Location: This is an in-office position located in West Des Moines, IA.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, generally 7 am to 4 pm or 8 am to 5 pm. Flexible scheduling is available by policy.
- Processing account payables and receivables, including credit card transaction processing, account receivable payoffs, and daily reconciliation of credit card receipts.
- Provides requested reports using QuickBooks and other NSDA financial tools.
- Manages scholarship funds and processing requests for scholarship payments.
- Works with the Development Department to track and process payments for advertising sales and donations.
- Develops and improves customer transactions with member ease-of-use in mind.
- Identifies opportunities to improve the efficiency or effectiveness of financial service processes and participates in improvement work when necessary.
- Answers finance-related customer service calls and emails, providing world class customer service that adheres to organizational standards for response time and furthers member satisfaction.
- 1 to 3 years’ experience in an accounting department; preferably in a nonprofit atmosphere.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, writing, and organizational skills.
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, successfully manage multiple priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines, and deal with change.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Demonstrated proficiency in QuickBooks.
- Ability to learn and use web-based tools for managing customer service.
- Basic proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet products.
- Willingness to travel up to 10 overnights to the annual National Tournament event, with a possibility of other infrequent travel for staff collaboration or professional development.
- Two or more years’ experience in education or nonprofit based accounting.
- Associate of Arts degree in business, finance, accounting, or related field.
- Proficiency with Google Suite.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience providing support through emails and phone calls for multiple communities, including communities of color.
Paid time off: Full-time employees are entitled to 20 days (160 hours) of PTO per fiscal year.
Holidays: The Association observes 12 paid holidays per year, plus a fluctuating amount of days occurring between December 24 and January 1. In addition, the National Speech and Debate will grant holiday pay for Friday afternoons beginning the week after the National Tournament in June and ending the week prior to Labor Day.
Insurance and benefits: 100% of individual health insurance is provided for full-time employees. Inquiries regarding family rates can be made by employees. Insurance is available on the first of the month following the employee’s start date. Dental, vision, and other offerings are available at small cost. The NSDA offers a retirement savings account and will match up to 3% of an employee’s contributions. Employees become eligible for the plan the first of the month following three months of service.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $22.60 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
- West Des Moines, IA 50266: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- accounting department: 3 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.