Website National Speech & Debate Association
The Finance and Payroll Manager supports the day to day operations of the Business and Finance department, including cash management, utilizing QuickBooks to process revenue, run reports, and analyze accounts receivable data, supporting the collection and processing of district and National Tournament related fees and expenses, performing bi-monthly payroll processing and associated tasks, and assisting with grants, scholarships, and other elements of the organization’s financial management.
The National Speech & Debate Association is committed to modeling and fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion for all speech and debate communities. The Finance and Payroll Manager will work conscientiously to model and foster an inclusive and equitable speech and debate experience for all.
The Finance and Payroll Manager reports to the Director of Business and Finance.
Location: This is an in-office position located in West Des Moines, IA.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, generally 7 am to 4 pm or 8 am to 5 pm. Flexible scheduling is available by policy.
- Daily cash management including credit card reconciliations.
- Prepares journal entries and other accounting entries.
- Processes development revenue into QuickBooks and maintains reporting of development revenue for various stakeholders.
- Assist with financial management of the National Tournament event to include judge bond processing, vendor contracts, processing & collection of entry fees, and attending the tournament to support its execution.
- Leads district tournament collections during tournament season and development collections on an ongoing basis.
- Manages scholarship funds and facilitates payments to scholarship recipients.
- Assists with technical reporting for grant-funded programs.
- Analyzes data across several business platforms (Quickbooks Online, WooCommerce, billing, and membership databases) to support the finance department’s accounts receivable and identify areas for efficiency improvements.
- Identifies opportunities to improve the efficiency or effectiveness of financial service processes and implements improvement work when necessary.
- Serves as backup coverage for AP/AR processing.
- Perform bi-monthly payroll processing. Run reports to review and resolve any issues before processing payroll. Research and calculate adjustments for items such as hours, wages, deductions, garnishments, verifications of employment and PTO balances.
- Analyze and audit payroll data for accuracy, escalating as needed to department directors for resolution.
- Research and respond to employee payroll-related questions and issues timely and accurately.
- Manage payroll processing checklist to ensure all payroll transactions are processed timely and accurately.
- Process staff data changes as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting, or related field.
- Three or more years experience in an accounting department, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, writing, and organizational skills.
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, successfully manage multiple priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines, and deal with change.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Quickbooks Online.
- Willingness to travel up to 10 overnights to the annual National Tournament event, with a possibility of other infrequent travel for staff collaboration or professional development.
- Prior experience with payroll processing
- Proficiency with Google Suite.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
Paid time off: Full-time employees are entitled to 20 days (160 hours) of PTO per fiscal year.
Holidays: The Association observes 12 paid holidays per year, plus a fluctuating amount of days occurring between December 24 and January 1. In addition, the National Speech and Debate will grant holiday pay for Friday afternoons beginning the week after the National Tournament in June and ending the week prior to Labor Day.
Insurance and benefits: 100% of individual health insurance is provided for full-time employees. Inquiries regarding family rates can be made by employees. Insurance is available on the first of the month following the employee’s start date. Dental, vision, and other offerings are available at small cost. The NSDA offers a retirement savings account and will match up to 3% of an employee’s contributions. Employees become eligible for the plan the first of the month following three months of service.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $57,000.00 – $62,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
- West Des Moines, IA 50266: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- accounting department: 3 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.