Website Gilmour Academy
Gilmour Academy is an independent, Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory school in the Holy Cross tradition. The school’s mission is to develop students with the ability to see and the courage to act in creating a more humane and just society. Gilmour instills in every student a strong sense of self-worth through personal achievement and the discovery of his or her own voice.
We are seeking an Assistant Speech Coach to assist the Head Speech and Debate coach. The successful candidate will have excellent communication and organization skills, a significant history of successful speech and debate coaching experience, and a commitment to total program development. Further, candidates serve as key representatives to motivate students academically and to hone and practice reading, writing, oratory, and critical thinking skills. Additionally, coaches are expected to uphold the values and mission of Gilmour Academy and infuse those core values in our Speech and Debate program. Coaches are not only expected to integrate Gilmour’s mission and values but model them as well. In addition, excellent candidates will:
● Designs and conducts recruitment/outreach programs to attract new speech and debate team members.
● Teach students theories and skills underlying the various competition events (as directed by the head coach).
● Facilitates acquisition of literary material and research information for speeches.
● Reads students’ speeches, cases, and literary pieces to assess for coherent and convincing messages.
● Conducts practices and drills to reinforce and assess skill development.
● Run Speech practice sessions in coordination with the Head Speech and Debate Coach.
● When solicited, coach students by teaching varying levels of speech and debate skills.
● (Prepare rosters and communicate with Gilmour faculty to monitor eligibility for participation in each meet.)
● Remains informed on rules, procedures, and judging standards for events.
● Obtains necessary permission, insurance, and school participation forms and fees from students.
● Sets practice/behavior standards required for students to enter tournaments.
● Coordinates student and judge entry, and supervises and judges at weekend and evening tournaments.
● Assist with coordinating student and judge entry, and supervise and judge at weekend and
● Record NSDA speech points, track honor society points to recognize participation and achievement.
● Assist in reviewing judge evaluations and motivate students to constantly improve.
● Assist in recruiting parent boosters as judges to support the program.
● Promotes the program throughout the Gilmour community through media engagement.
● Complete other duties as assigned by the Head Speech and Debate Coach.
Qualified candidates, please send resume and completed application (available on the Gilmour
website) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gilmour Academy is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity. We believe that a culturally diverse campus is integral to academic excellence, and our student, faculty, staff, and trustee bodies should reflect the diverse world in which we live, with attention to race, ethnicity, religious creed, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and ability.
To apply for this job please visit www.gilmour.org.