Website MVLA Speech & Debate (MVLA High School District)
Mountain View-Los Altos Speech and Debate, a combined-school, high school district team, is seeking event coaches for the 2021-2022 school year. MVLA S&D prides itself on a student-centered learning environment welcoming all levels of competitors. The team will hire coaches and staff for the following positions (see bottom of solicitation for specifics):
Debate: Lincoln-Douglas, Parliamentary, Public Forum
Speech: Original/Platform, Spontaneous (California events)
- A stipend paid in two portions, not less than $25/hr of practices supervised
- $125+/day additional per local tournament chaperoned
- $175+/day additional per travel tournament chaperoned
- Attending practices, scheduled weekly on Wednesdays 7-9 pm at Mountain View High School between August 11 and May 25 (we may consider on a case-by-case basis hiring non-local coaches to video conference into practice on a similar compensation schedule). Tasks a practices for coaches may include:
- Ballot review
- Content and theory lectures
- Providing and overseeing drills
- Judging practice rounds
- Accessibility to students via team Slack messenger or email for questions
- Availability for practices on demand scheduled weekly on Mondays 7-9 pm at Los Altos High School or on Zoom (incorporated into practice stipend)
- Chaperoning and/or judging, paid per day within two weeks of the event
Applications should consist of the following:
- Cover letter with 1-2 positions applicant is interested in and best time/method of contact
- Forensics-focused resume or CV including previous and current competitive activities, judging, and coaching
- 2-3 references (may be professional or character references)
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Top applicants may be asked to interview in person with current students, staff, and/or booster board members for their prospective position. Please submit application materials to Julie Herman, Head of Speech and Debate, at email@example.com. Inquiries may also be submitted to this address.
If hired, the MVLA district will require coaches to undergo fingerprinting, TB testing, and mandatory reporter training prior to commencing employment. Employees may take on additional teams or private clients, but we ask that if students from our school are competing at the same tournament as your student clients, you recuse yourself from prep or advice in any rounds where these students compete against each other. Employees are not permitted to form private coaching relationships with individual students on the team; if students require substantial additional review work outside of practice, the Head of Speech and Debate will facilitate.
Lincoln Douglas: MVLA’s LD team of approximately 20 students is looking for a coach to coordinate cohesion between novices and experienced competitors. The ideal candidate will have experience in lay/traditional LD debate (or a high level of instructional flexibility), with some knowledge of basic theory. The candidate will be supervised by a senior event coach, and this position is suitable for rising college students.
Parliamentary: MVLA’s parliamentary debate team of approximately 70 students is looking for a motivated coach who will help the team maintain its success into the next year. An ideal candidate will be willing to coordinate prep and have high-level knowledge of debate theory. The candidate will be flexible in working with both high-level and novice students, working with at least two other coaches and student leaders to split the group as needed. The candidate will be supervised by a senior event coach, and this position is suitable for rising college students.
Public Forum: MVLA’s public forum team of approximately 50 students is looking for a coach who can support students both in local and circuit level competitions. The candidate will be flexible in working with both high-level and novice students, working with a second coach and student leaders to split the group as needed. The candidate will be supervised by a senior event coach, and this position is suitable for rising college students.
Spontaneous: MVLA’s Spontaneous team of approximately 15 students is looking for a coach primarily with experience in impromptu speaking (additional extemp experience is a plus!). The ideal candidate will have strong classroom management skills and be able to handle students with diverse backgrounds and goals. The candidate will become the primary event coach, so candidates who are 2+ years out of high school competition themselves are preferred.
Original/Platform: MVLA’s Prepared Speech team of approximately 5 students is looking for a dynamic coach with experience in two or more prepared events and flexibility to coach outside of their competitive experience. The ideal candidate will be high-energy and have experience with facilitating student retention and team-building. The candidate will become the primary event coach, so candidates who are 2+ years out of high school competition themselves are preferred.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org