Website Oxbridge Academy
Full Job Description
Speech and Debate Coach/Teacher
· Teaching what is worth learning with expertise and agility.
· Fostering personal discovery through guided choice within a deep, broad, and custom curriculum.
· Cultivating multidimensional experiences that integrate the fine arts, athletics, and the academic disciplines.
· Building an intentionally diverse and inclusive community grounded in a culture of kindness.
· Engaging in meaningful partnerships with our local community and beyond.
Oxbridge Academy, a non-profit, independent, co-ed, day school, serving students in grades 7-12 in West Palm Beach, Florida, seeks to hire a full-time, experienced Speech and Debate Coach / Teacher. Employee is responsible for understanding the Mission, Vision, Core Values, Employee Handbook, and other school policies of Oxbridge Academy, and ensuring the adherence of these policies in job performance and self-conduct. Oxbridge faculty members create and manage a variety of learning environments and activities that provide opportunities for students to achieve their learning objectives and develop to their fullest potential.
Oxbridge students have championed in speech and debate events at tournaments, including the Tournament of Champions, the National Catholic Forensic League Grand Nationals, and the National Speech and Debate Association Championship. The head speech and debate coach will provide instructional and supervisory leadership, develop and implement the classroom curriculum and travel extensively with the debate team to tournaments throughout the United States. This is a 10-month, full-time teaching (full load) and coaching position.
The principal responsibilities of the Speech and Debate Coach are:
· Create and implement speech and debate curriculum for classroom use.
· Assist with creating and researching arguments within a group setting.
· Assist with planning and executing events.
· Assist in argument development.
· Assist in script/ poetry/ prose identification and analysis.
· Attend at a minimum ten TOC bid tournaments per academic year.
· Attend NSDA national qualifier, NCFL Grand nationals’ qualifier and FFL State qualifier each academic year.
· Coaching a competitive team in a variety of events.
· Keep an accurate record of student’s NSDA points.
· Provide meaningful feedback on both formative and summative assignments.
· Adapt and differentiate teaching methods and instructional material to meet students varying needs, abilities, and interests.
· Demonstrate a willingness to collaborate within the department, school community, and greater community on multidisciplinary projects and initiatives.
· Maintain accurate and complete student records in the current student information system as required by law, policies, and administrative regulations.
· Observe students in a variety of educational environments and evaluate their academic performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
· Establish and enforce rules for behavior, cultivating Oxbridge’s core values of kindness, courtesy, integrity, respect, and compassion.
· Advise a group of students and keep parents and legal guardians informed about student’s progress.
· Pursue relevant professional development to maintain expertise in subject matter, curriculum development, and teaching methods.
· Additional duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree in a related field preferred.
· Demonstrated ability to engage the interest of middle and high school age children.
· At least three years of debating and/or judging experience required and relevant classroom teaching experience. Ability to work well with students, parents, and all members of the Oxbridge community.
· Demonstrated ability to evaluate improved learning, habits, and measurements of achievement.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality and use sound judgment.
Oxbridge Academy is a non-profit, independent, co-ed, day school, serving students in grades 7-12 in West Palm Beach, Florida. Oxbridge Academy commits to being a community characterized by civility, respect, and trust; a school that fosters the virtues of discipline, perseverance, and responsibility. Oxbridge Academy is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity at all levels, and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic, background, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Employee assistance program
Flexible spending account
Paid time off
8 hour shift
Monday to Friday
All staff and faculty are required to wear a mask while on campus. We have a daily health screening and temperature checks for all staff and students.
debate or judging: 3 years (Required)
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.