Website Windward School
Speech and Debate Coach (This is a Part-Time Position)
Windward School, a grade 7-12 college-preparatory, independent day school in vibrant West Los Angeles, seeks an experienced Speech and Debate Coach to work with Middle School and Upper School Debate as co-curricular support for the Speech and Debate Teacher.
The responsibilities for this position will include attending the Middle School and Upper School Debate classes that each meet 2 times per week and debate tournaments and after school scrimmages. The Speech and Debate Teacher will be responsible for the curricular planning and direction of the class; both Teacher and Coach will report to the English Department Chair for supervision purposes.
Middle School students participate in Parliamentary Debate. Upper School students have participated in Parliamentary debate, Lincoln Douglas debate, as well as Speech events, including Interpretive, Original Oratory, and Extemporaneous.
Summary of Major Responsibilities
● Support Middle School and Upper School Debate Classes during each division’s Period 8 and US Period 9
● At the direction of the Speech and Debate Teacher, support a robust schedule of opportunities for students to participate in both Middle School and Upper School debate competitions and tournaments
● Attend all off-campus and weekend tournaments for debate, assisting as chaperone and coach for students
● Provide targeted support in content and skills in preparation for debate competitions
● Organize transportation, participation and forms for debate team tournaments and scrimmages in coordination with the Operations team. Waivers for any travel to in-person tournaments should be created and overseen by Operations.
● In partnership with the teacher and departmental supervisor, develop and implement opportunities for growth for students at all levels of interest and experience in debate
● Participate in school events as requested, including but not limited to Back to School Night, Parent Conference Days, and Prospective Student Open Houses
● A bachelor’s degree is required
● A minimum of three years of experience with debate preferred
● A demonstrable passion for debate and working with young people
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children and young people
● A commitment to creating a welcoming community that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community.
We offer competitive compensation.
For more information about Windward, see our website: www.windwardschool.org.
To Apply: All interested candidates should submit a resume and a letter of interest via the application link.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.