Last modified: February 23, 2017
National Speech & Debate Association (“Company” or “We“) respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website http://www.speechanddebate.org (our “Website“) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
- Through mobile and desktop applications you download from this Website, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and this Website.
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Company or any third party; or
- any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from the Website.
Children Under the Age of 13
Because of our efforts to provide resources to middle school students who are members of the National Junior Forensic League, we allow those students, including those under the age of 13, to register for accounts on our Website. The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 and its rules (collectively, “COPPA“) require us to inform parents and legal guardians (as used in this section, “parents“) about our practices for collecting, using, and disclosing personal information from children under the age of 13 (“children“). It also requires us to obtain verifiable consent from a child’s parent for certain collection, use, and disclosure of the child’s personal information.
This section notifies parents of:
- The types of information we may collect from children:
- How we use the information we collect:
- Our practices for disclosing that information:
- Our practices for notifying and obtaining parents’ consent when we collect personal information from children, including how a parent may revoke consent.
- All operators that collect or maintain information from children through this Website:
We require students to provide their name, city, state, and email address during the account registration process. We also request other demographic information, such as gender, race, and GPA but no such information needs to be provided in order for students to register for an account.
All information is used solely internally. We will aggregate this information to learn more about our members.
With respect to the Website, we use personal information solely for the purpose of website development and maintenance, including but not limited to diagnostic and testing purposes.
We never provide personal information to third parties for any reason.
We may provide aggregated information to potential sponsors and donors, as part of our case for why they should support the Association. A child will not be personally identified, nor will a child’s individual, disaggregated information be used as part of any such effort without the express written consent of the child’s parent.
A parent can review his or her child’s personal information, direct us to delete it, and refuse to allow any further collection or use of his or her child’s information. To exercise any of these rights, please contact us at email@example.com. The parent must provide us with enough information to verify his or her identity and locate his or her child’s account.
National Speech & Debate Association, 401 Railroad Place, West Des Moines, IA 50265-4730
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information:
- by which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, email address, telephone number, or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“personal information“);
- that is about you but individually does not identify you, such as gender, race, and GPA; and/or
- about your Internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of the National Speech & Debate Association’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by the National Speech & Debate Association about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an email address to use the “email a friend” feature of our Website, we will transmit the contents of that email and your email address to the recipients.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of National Speech & Debate Association, our customers, or others.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
In terms of website development and maintenance, we have implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security in order to protect personal information from loss, misuse, alteration, or destruction. Only authorized personnel are provided access to personal information, and these employees are required to treat this information as confidential.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
National Speech & Debate Association
401 Railroad Place
West Des Moines, IA 50265-4730
Phone: (920) 748-6206