Rostrum Interns Application
This internship opportunity is exclusively for NSDA member high school students. Up to four (4) Rostrum interns will be chosen from a pool of applicants. This is considered a challenging internship. Students should be well-qualified writers and individuals who are self-motivated. Since this internship is demanding, applicants must currently hold or have previously held a position on their school’s newspaper, yearbook, or publication outside of their school. The deadline to apply is August 16, 2019. For a complete list of responsibilities and requirements, please read below.
About the Internship
Responsibilities of the interns are as follows:
- Rostrum interns will write at least two (2) articles for Rostrum magazine during the school year. The articles are generally 500 to 1,250 words in length and will consist of student, coach, or alumni profiles.
- Rostrum interns will attend a monthly meeting online as a group and with the NSDA advisor to discuss progress on upcoming Rostrum articles.
In order to apply, students must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must have completed at least one journalism, technical writing, advanced English, or comparable course.
- Applicants must currently hold or have previously held a position on their school’s newspaper, yearbook, or publication outside of their school.
- Applicants must submit a 500-word sample profile article about either a fellow teammate or coach. For an example of what we’re looking for, check out these recent student and coach profiles, both written by former Rostrum interns. Applicants are asked to submit a shareable link using Google Docs.
- Applicants must include one letter of recommendation from their speech/debate coach or assistant coach.
If you have any questions about the internship, please contact Vicki Pape at email@example.com.