Explore Membership Students
Why Become a Member?
As the national authority on public speaking and debate, the National Speech & Debate Association provides the infrastructure for speech and debate competitions around the world. We create a platform for youth voices to be heard and celebrated, which culminates with an annual National Tournament, the Olympics of Public Speaking.
Expand Your Resume
- Gain membership in one of the oldest and most respected honor societies.
- Earn local, state, and national recognition for competitive success, academic excellence, and service activities.
Compete Against The Best of The Best
- Compete to attend the National Tournament, the Olympics of Public Speaking, where 54 national champions are crowned.
- Join a community where student voices are given a platform to be heard and celebrated.
Earn Money For College
- Member students are eligible to earn a portion of the $150,000 in college scholarships we give annually.
“Credit: Icons by ProSymbols from the Noun Project”
Prepare for College, A Career, and the Future
Master the skills employers value most.
A LinkedIn survey of more than 660+ million professionals revealed the most in demand soft skills in 2020. Here’s how speech and debate helps students master them:
Creativity – Students are empowered to make artistic choices about how they bring words to life through performance. Unique arguments are encouraged and thinking outside the box differentiates students from their peers debating the same topics.
Persuasion – Students learn how to best convince an audience in the face of equally well-informed, persuasive competition.
Collaboration – Students work with teammates and coaches to craft stories, create arguments, build upon feedback, and perfect their performances.
Adaptability – Students learn to think on their feet and tailor a performance to a given audience.
Emotional Intelligence – Students learn to see both sides of an issue and to use appropriate strategies for questioning things they do not understand.
Access More Than 1,000 Competitive Resources
- Prepare for competition or practice sessions with fresh sets of Extemp questions, Congress legislation, and World Schools motions.
- Access debate topic resources to build arguments and keep them up to date throughout the season.
- Gain insight by watching the best in the nation perform in National Tournament final round videos from our archives dating back to 1985.
How to Start a Team Guide
Find the resources you need to advocate for a new program.
Annual School Membership
High School: $149 Middle School: $75
Membership is good through July 31 of the school year for which you are renewing.
|ACCESS LEVEL||MEMBER BENEFITS||COST||CYCLE|
Enhance Your MembershipNSDA membership includes access to excellent training tools, competitive resources, and more. The Resource Package is a membership add-on for teams or individuals that offers the best speech and debate resources around all for one low price. The Resource Package provides coaches, educators, and students with valuable resources to improve their speech and debate skills, all curated by experts at the NSDA and successful educators across the country. Highlights include: