Graphic Design Intern Application
About the Internship
The Graphic Design Intern will work to create graphics and/or ad and article layouts for the NSDA’s quarterly publication, Rostrum (approx. 1-3 hours per week) under the supervision of the NSDA’s Publications Manager and Graphic Designer and Publications Assistant. If required, the Graphic Design Intern may also be asked to edit and create graphics for the NSDA’s social media platforms or digital newsletters. The variety of design projects will challenge the applicant to use creativity and skill to further the mission, vision, and brand of the NSDA. Applicants must possess strong design skills and a solid understanding of Adobe Creative Suite programs. Familiarity with speech and debate activities is preferred.
- Design compelling print pieces and web-ready graphics including advertisements, article layouts, social media graphics, and promotional materials to engage current and prospective member students and coaches, alumni, NSDA families, and/or donors and sponsors.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates must currently be a high school student interested in graphic design. Familiarity with speech and debate activities is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Solid understanding of Adobe Creative Suite programs, including InDesign and Photoshop (required) and Illustrator (preferred)
- Ability to collaborate with others and work independently
- Self-motivated and deadline driven
- Able to take direction and execute it accordingly
- Familiar with basic design principles
- Able to concept designs from start to finish
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Access to Adobe Creative Suite programs including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator (the NSDA can assist with temporary access to these programs, if needed)
- Working knowledge of a variety of social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Previous graphic design experience
- Knowledge of creating print-ready files
- As part of the application process, students must upload an original social media graphic design promoting the National Speech & Debate Tournament (June 14-20, 2020) OR National Speech and Debate Education Day (March 5, 2021). Required dimensions are 1200 pixels wide by 630 pixels tall. PNG or JPG file format is preferred.
- Applicants must include one letter of recommendation from a teacher or coach at their school who can attest to the student’s graphic design experience.
If you have any questions about the internship, please contact Vicki Pape at email@example.com.