Website The Village School
You’ll help us lead after school Speech and Debate sessions. In this position, you will work with students at their academic level. You must also ensure that your students are active and engaged throughout the length of these sessions.
Everything we do is connected to our vision to create a generation of resilient and creative global citizens who will change our world for the better.
Your role will impact the organization by providing speech and debate plans, delivering content, administering constructive feedback, and providing feedback to students.
Director of High School
Internal (Students and Staff Members)
ENGAGEMENT AND INTERACTION – SCHOOL AMBASSADOR TO INTERNAL COMMUNITY
- Stays informed on rules, procedures and judging standards for forensic events.
- Obtains necessary permission, insurance and school participation forms and fees from students for tournaments.
- Sets practice/behavior standards required for students to enter tournaments.
- Meets with students on a regular basis, minimum of twice per week during school year.
- Books tournament travel arrangements, including transportation and lodging
- Coordinates student and judge entry, and supervise and judge at weekend and evening tournaments
- Records NSDA points, develop honor society protocols to recognize participation and achievement
- Recruits parent volunteers to support the program
- Promotes the program in the Village community through social media
- Teaches students theories and skills underlying the various competition events
- Facilitates acquisition of literary material and research information for speeches
- Reads students’ speeches, cases and literary pieces to assess for coherent and convincing messages
- Conduct practices and drills to reinforce and assess skill development
- Reviews judge evaluations and motivate students to constantly improve
- Nurtures beginning students while challenging experienced students
- Encourages community service speaking opportunities to apply forensic skills in life and careers
- Continuously assesses strengths and weaknesses of the program to make improvements every year
- Provide and maintain a competitive tournament schedule – minimum of 20 competitions per season plus Districts, State, TOC (Tournament of Champions), and NSDA Nationals
LEARNING AND TEACHING
These sessions will not only help students become successful in a debating environment, it will improve their critical thinking and help them elaborate on their stance on debatable topics. It will also help students prepare for critical level reading and writing in upper level high school English and Social Science courses.
PLANNING AND PREPARATION
The teacher will prepare debating activities plans for the speech and debate program to ensure course work is prepared to teach students.
PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
Seek to continually improve every year by being open to coaching and engaging in other professional development opportunities in order to improve outcomes for their students and illustrate that teachers are also lifelong learners
DURATION OF TEACHER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Session Start dates: September 15, 2022 – June 30, 2023
- Practices will be held twice a week Monday – Friday typically from 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Travel with students to 22 various Speech and Debate tournaments periodically throughout the school year.
- Help construct a preparation week during the second week of summer break for the Nationals Tournament
- Qualified applicants will have demonstrated success teaching a Speech and Debate Course.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint for producing reports and presentations.
- Good cross-cultural, interpersonal and communication skills to interact with diverse nationalities and cultures.
- Excellent analytical skills – with the passion and drive to demonstrate and quantify success.
- Results orientated with the ability to consistently map efforts against identified KPIs.
- Excellent time management skills and flexibility in dealing with multi-functional tasks.
- You’d like to work in a purpose-led sector.
As our teammate, here’s what we expect:
- You love being part of a team – it’s what gets you up in the morning.
- You’ll run it like you own it – you take huge pride in your work and your relationships.
- You’re resilient – you’ll speak up and speak the truth.
- You get the job done – to outstanding levels of quality, every time and always to the deadline.
- You’re humble – you’ll know what you’re great at and where you’re not quite so strong.
- You’re a listener – you’ll hear what people say so you understand what’s being asked.
- You’re calm under pressure – you’ll keep cool when the going gets tough and know when to slow down your thinking.
- Entrepreneurial – you’ll always find opportunities to do things differently and better.
CREATE YOUR FUTURE
We’re http://www.nordangliaeducation.comone of the world’s largest premium international schools organizations. Every day, our teachers and support colleagues help our thousands of students achieve more than they ever imagined possible.
A transformational education at one of our schools is focussed on excellent academic outcomes, creativity, wellbeing, and international connectedness. Our innovative use of educational technology also creates a personalised, 21st century learning experience for all students, while our global scale means we can recruit and retain the world’s best teachers and offer unforgettable events and expeditions.
Our people are empowered to make a difference in their fields of expertise. Our fast pace of growth requires evolution and change from everyone, giving you the chance to define the role you do in the future. This challenges the learning agility of our employees and ensures every day brings interesting new experiences.
Founded in 1972 in the United Kingdom, our first international school opened in 1992 in Warsaw, followed by rapid growth across the world since the 2000s.
When you join our team, you’ll become part of a global family of experts working for a fast-growing premium international brand.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org