Start Here: Teaching Middle School Public Address
Public Address events feature a speech researched and written by the student in advance that persuades or educates an audience on a topic of the students’ choosing using evidence, logic, and emotional appeals.
This collection offers students two pathways to choose from, or instructors can opt to explore both in sequence.
In Original Oratory, students craft an argument on a topic that is of personal interest and significance to them.
In Informative Speaking, students deliver a speech designed to educate with the use of visual aids!
Students Will Be Able To:
- Write a speech that features complete arguments with a claim, data, warrant, and impact.
- Present information, findings, and supporting evidence clearly, concisely, and logically such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning.
- Adapt speech to a variety of contexts and tasks by utilizing nonverbal communication, vocabulary, and the tone, rate, volume, and pitch of their voice.
- Integrate multiple sources of information presented in diverse media or formats, evaluating the credibility and accuracy of each source.
- Evaluate a speaker’s point of view, reasoning, and use of evidence and rhetoric, identifying any fallacious reasoning or exaggerated or distorted evidence.
- Research, write, memorize, deliver, and revise an original speech (Informative Speaking or Original Oratory).
TABLE OF CONTENTS
|LESSON 1: Basic Building Blocks||1|
|LESSON 2: Understanding Slant and Bias||8|
|LESSON 3: Choosing a Speech Type and Topic||10|
|LESSON 4: Research||26|
|LESSON 5: Citations and Avoiding Plagiarism||32|
|LESSON 6: Writing an Introduction||47|
|LESSON 7: Organizing the Speech||52|
|LESSON 8: Using Appropriate Language||56|
|LESSON 9: Writing the Body||58|
|LESSON 10: Creating Visual Aids (Info Only)||75|
|LESSON 11: Writing Wrap Up||78|
|LESSON 12: Effective Delivery||83|
|LESSON 13: Judging/Critiquing Peer Speeches||91|
To access a sample of our “Start Here: Teaching Middle School Public Address” collection enter your email below.