Start Here: Teaching Policy
Policy Debate is a two-on-two debate where an affirmative team proposes a plan of their own creation and the negative team argues why that plan should not be adopted under the resolution.
Policy is generally known as the most research-intensive event, as students debate the same topic all year and must use pieces of evidence directly quoted word-for-word from the source.
Students Will Be Able To:
- Write a persuasive speech that features complete arguments with a claim, data, warrant, and impact.
- Present information, findings, and supporting evidence clearly, concisely, and logically such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning.
- Find, cut, cite, and organize evidence that supports their claims.
- Evaluate a speaker’s point of view, reasoning, and use of evidence and rhetoric, identifying any fallacious reasoning or exaggerated or distorted evidence.
- Listen effectively and respond to attacks against their arguments with limited prep using logic and/or evidence.
- Craft an affirmative plan text that addresses harms/advantages, inherency, topicality, and solvency.
- Run and respond to arguments about topicality, disadvantages, counterplans, and kritiks.
- Weigh their arguments against their opponent’s.
- Complete a full Policy round.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
|LESSON 1: What is Debate?||1|
|LESSON 2: What is Policy Debate?||4|
|LESSON 3: Argumentation||9|
|LESSON 4: Research||12|
|LESSON 5: How to Cut Cards||17|
|LESSON 6: Intro to Affirmation||21|
|LESSON 7: Intro to Negation||24|
|LESSON 8: Topicality||28|
|LESSON 9: Disadvantages||32|
|LESSON 10: Impact Calculus||35|
|LESSON 11: Constructive Speeches||38|
|LESSON 12: Cross-Examination||42|
|LESSON 13: Rebuttals||45|
|LESSON 14: Flowing the Round||48|
|LESSON 15: Delivery||51|
|LESSON 16: Judge Adaptation||54|
|LESSON 17: Practice Debate||60|
|LESSON 18: Extended Negative Lesson:|
|INTRO TO COUNTERPLAN||62|
|LESSON 19: Extended Negative Lesson:|
|INTRO TO KRITIK||65|
To access a sample lesson plan from our “Start Here: Teaching Policy Debate” collection enter your email below.